David A. Morton, Ph.D.
Gross Anatomy Course Director
Associate Professor (Lecturer) of Neurobiology and Anatomy
Born 1972 Toronto, Canada
B.S. (Zoology) 1998 Brigham Young University, Provo UT
M.S. (Anatomy) 2001 University of Utah, SLC UT
Ph.D. (Anatomy) 2003 University of Utah, SLC UT
Office Phone: 801-581-3385
Dr. Morton is an Associate Professor in the Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy. He teaches gross anatomy, histology and neuroanatomy to medical, dental, physical therapy and occupational students. He serves as Co-Director for the Foundations of Medicine unit and the Skin, Muscle, Bone and Joint unit in the Medical School Curriculum. His research interests include the use of cadavers in medical education. Dr. Morton is a member of the Academy of Medical Science Educators and recipient of the Jarcho Distinguished teaching award. Dr. Morton served as the editor-in-chief for AnatomyOne (Amirsys) a comprehensive anatomy resource as well as co-authored Gray’s Dissection Guide for Human Anatomy (Elsevier), The Big Picture. Gross Anatomy textbook, The Big Picture. Histology (McGraw Hill) and A Photographic Atlas for the Anatomy & Physiology Laboratory (Morton Publishing). He also serves as a visiting professor to Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) in Kumasi, Ghana.
- DeFriez CB, Morton DA, Horwitz DS, Eckel CM, Foreman KB, Albertine KH. Orthopedic resident anatomy review course: a collaboration between anatomists and orthopedic surgeons. Anat Sci Educ., 4(5):285-93, 2011.
- Anderson LA, Crofoot CD, Erickson J, Morton DA, Peters CL. Acetabular osteochondroplasty and simultaneous reorintation: background and validation of concept. Orthopedics, 33(5), 2010.
- Morton DA, Foreman KB, Albertine KH. Anatomy Big Picture Book, 1st Edition. McGraw Hill, Lange Publishing, 2010.
- Morton DA, Clinical anatomy for your pocket. JAMA, 301(17), 1827-1828, 2009.
- Rockwell WB, Hurst CA, Morton DA, Kwok A, Foreman KB. The deep inferior epigastric artery: anatomy and applicability as a source of microvascular arterial grafts. Plast Reconstr Surg. 120(1), 209-14, 2007.
- Morton DA, Foreman KB, Goede PA, Bezzant JL, Albertine KH. TK3 eBook software to author, distribute, and use electronic course content for medical education. Adv Physiol Educ. 31(1): 55-61, 2007.
- Van De Graaff KM, Morton DA, Crawley JL. A Photographic Atlas for the Anatomy and Physiology Laboratory, 6th Edition. Morton Publishing, 2007.
- Morton DA, Peterson KD, Albertine KH. Gray’s Dissection Guide for Human Anatomy, 2nd Edition. Churchill Livingstone, Elsevier Science, 2007.
- Foreman KB, Morton DA, Musolino G, Albertine KH. Design and utility of a web-based computer-assisted instruction tool for neuroanatomy self-study and review for physical and occupational therapy graduate students. Anat Rec 285B:26-31, 2005.
- Goede PA, Lauman JR, Cochella C, Katzman GL, Morton DA, Albertine KH. A methodology and implementation for annotating digital images for context-appropriate use in an academic healthcare environment. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 11(1):29-41, 2004.